Friday, November 6, 2009

God Bless the Moon and God Bless Me!


The full moon at this season of the year is so lovely! I was thinking it was called a Harvest Moon but I believe that is in September...so we have just been viewing a Hunter's Moon... it rose on October 26 this year...now when the next full moon arrives it will be called a Beaver's Moon!(November) Speaking of beaver, our former homeplace in Ringwood, Oklahoma had lots of beaver. We lived right on a large spring-fed pond and enjoyed having beaver, muskrats, and different ducks and wild geese in our front yard. One year we had beaver for Thanksgiving! It seemed to me to have a watery taste...I don't know how else to describe it. We fixed it like pulled beef sandwiches, I don't remember if we used barbeque sauce or not. Of course we did not tell our relatives what they were eating until they let us know they were enjoying it!

"Oh thou Eternal One, our Lord, what majesty is thine over all the world! High in heaven thou hast set thy splendour. Let me sing of this, thy heavenly strength. As I look up to the heavens thy fingers made, the moon and stars that thou hast shaped, I ask, 'And what is man, That thou shouldst think of him?' Yet thou hast made him little less than divine! Thou hast crowned him with majesty and honor, giving him sway over all thy hands have made, with all things underneath his feet. O thou Eternal One, our Lord, what majesty is thine over all the world!" from Psalm 8, Moffatt's version.








"Who is this, glowing like the dawn, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, overawing like an army with banners?"
The commentator Matthew Henry applies this scripture from the Song of Solomon to two things- the church in the world, and Grace in the heart. "Both are as amiable as The Light- The Most Beautiful Of All Visible Things." I enjoy just gazing at the moon, I guess getting "moonstruck". I remember being on a little road trip heading south about twilight...on one side of the road the sun was setting so beautifully, and on the other side of the road the full moon was rising so gloriously! You don't often get to see both at once.




No comments:

Post a Comment