Friday, December 18, 2009

Hopes And Fears

"O Little Town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie! Above thy deep and dreamless sleep, the silent stars go by. Yet, in thy dark streets shineth the everlasting light...The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight." -Phillips Brooks.


This beloved carol was written in 1867, a few years after Mr. Brooks had assisted with the midnight service in the old church in Bethlehem on Christmas Eve, 1865.  Brooks wrote about his horseback journey from Jerusalem to Bethlehem: "I remember standing in the old church in Bethlehem, close to the spot where Jesus was born, when the whole church was ringing hour after hour with splendid hymns of praise to God, how again and again it seemed as if I could hear voices I knew well, telling each other of the Wonderful Night of the Savior’s birth."

"We hear the Christmas angels the great glad tidings tell- - O come to us! Abide with us! Our Lord! Emmanuel!" I love the faith and hope expressed in the great carols like this one. This is the great message of Christmas- Hope! God loves His creation and went to great pains to bring them Salvation. In fact, this is the whole story of the Bible, all the effort God has exerted to bring Light and Life to us. I am greatly offended and insulted to hear some of the songs today being changed to take this hope out of Christmas. Case in point: Have yourself a merry little Christmas. The original wording of the ending is "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough and have yourself a merry little Christmas now." Meaning of course, putting a star on top of your Christmas tree that symbolizes the star of Bethlehem, and hope... But now I am hearing, "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow, but have yourself a merry little Christmas now." Who gave you the license to do this anyway?!!! It's certainly not artistic license.

I was following Sean Hannity on the radio last week, and I like Sean, no offense to him. But all the news about the Copenhagen Summit and Obamacare just drag me down. Hearing that our president wants to change the military's methods etc ...I'm not going to explain all that here. But what's the point of sending troops if they will be pulled out on a certain date without the job being completed? Anyway I was meeting Galen at Lowe's to trade cars with him and had just heard Sean's news...(By the way, also another song that gets me riled is Happy Christmas by John Lennon. It seems to be somehow casting aspersions on this holy day "So this is Christmas? I hope it's a good one..." I may be taking this wrong but the version I heard, not the one with John singing, was just depressing. Melody and everything.) Meeting Galen in Lowe's, I had just heard Mr. Hannity, and Happy Christmas on another station, and I saw two servicemen in uniform, Air Force, in Lowe's. I had to restrain myself right there in the store from crying. Galen saw me and said, "What's wrong?" I of course could not talk about it, but I was thinking, What use is it to send these fine young strong Americans overseas if they can not do their job properly? Are they going to die, and die for nothing? Will this president follow through on the promises made to these men when they swore to defend our nation and follow the orders given them? How can Santa Claus provide the hope we need? How can our president not give lip service at least to the Christianity that made our country great? Why must all mention of Christ and even the word Christmas cause offense to the liberals? I am determined to put on the armor of God and do battle with the forces of darkness and the wickedness in high places. May God bring revival to many in America. THE GREAT GLAD TIDINGS TELL!!!!!!!



"God rest ye, merry gentlemen. Let nothing you dismay! Remember Christ our savior was born on Christmas Day to save us all from satan's power when we were gone astray! O Tidings of Comfort and Joy! COMFORT AND JOY! O Tidings of comfort and joy! "

Don't be a Scrooge, or worse, A Liberal!


Proclaim the Joy of the Lord!
JOY to the world!
The Lord HAS come!
LET EARTH RECEIVE HER KING!
Let every heart prepare him room!
And heaven and nature sing!



May God Bless Us, Every One.


I Do hope you have beaten the rush at the mall...
Only 7 shopping days left!



Merry Christmas to All!


1 comment:

  1. One time a gal said "Happy Holidays" and I said "Merry Christmas to you too" and she looked around and then said "Merry Christmas!"

    She had been told she couldn't say it but seemed so happy to say it to me.

    ReplyDelete