Friday, January 29, 2010

Beautiful Snow

We are in the middle of another beautiful snowstorm here in Central Oklahoma. Someone had said, "It's going to be the worst one in 50 years!" But that hasn't been the case so far anyway. Our schools closed Thursday and Friday, probably a little precipitously (pun intended). I hail (smile) from Louisiana originally, and can count on my fingers the times it snowed in my childhood. Since being married and finding myself in Oklahoma for 25 years, I have still not experienced very many snowstorms. So I don't complain about the weather but enjoy it, and rejoice in seeing what God has in His treasuries (more on this later). I've found some beautiful scriptures about snow to share, but FIRST...I found a wonderful poem, also! This has been proven to be written by Joseph Warren Watson and published in 1870. I saw pictures from a book published in 1890, originally from the Harvard College Library. The last lines were not in the original, so I have entered them in quotation marks. Watson died at the age of 23.

BEAUTIFUL SNOW
Oh! The snow, the beautiful snow,
Filling the sky and the earth below,
Over the housetops, over the street,
Over the heads of the people you meet.
    Dancing, Flirting, Skipping along,
Beautiful snow! It can do no wrong.
Flying to kiss a fair lady's cheek,
Clinging to lips in frolicsome freak;
Beautiful snow from the heavens above,
Pure as an angel, and fickle as love!

Oh, the snow, the beautiful snow!
How the flakes gather and laugh as they go!
Whirling about in its maddening fun,
It plays in its glee with every one.
    Chasing, Laughing, Hurrying by,
It lights on the face and it sparkles the eye;
And even the dogs, with a bark and a bound
Snap at the crystals that eddy around.
The town is alive, and its heart in a glow,
To welcome the coming of beautiful snow.

How the wild crowd goes swaying along,
Hailing each other with humor and song;
How the gay sledges like meteors flash by
Bright for a moment, then lost to the eye,
    Ringing, Swinging, Dashing they go,
Over the crest of the beautiful snow;
Snow so pure as it falls from the sky,
To be trampled in mud by the crowd rushing by;
To be trampled and tracked by the thousands of feet
Till it blends with the horrible filth in the street.

Once I was pure as the snow, but I fell:
Fell, like the snowflakes, from heaven- to hell;
Fell, to be tramped as the filth in the street:
Fell, to be scoffed, to be spit on and beat;
    Pleading, cursing, dreading to die,
Selling my soul to whoever would buy,
Dealing in shame for a morsel of bread,
Hating the living and fearing the dead.
Merciful God! Have I fallen so low?
And yet I was once like the beautiful snow!

Once I was fair as the beautiful snow,
With an eye like a crystal, a heart like its glow;
Once I was loved for my innocent grace -
Flattered and sought for the charms of my face.
    Father, Mother, Sisters all,
God, and myself, I have lost by my fall.
The veriest wretch that goes shivering by,
Will make a wide sweep, lest I wander too nigh.
For all that is on or about me, I know
There is nothing that's pure but the beautiful snow.

How strange it should be that this beautiful snow
Should fall on a sinner with nowhere to go!
How strange it would be, when the night comes again,
If the snow and the ice struck my desperate brain!
    Fainting, Freezing, Dying alone
Too wicked for prayer, too weak for my moan
To be heard in the streets of the crazy town,
To lie and to die in my terrible woe,
With a bed and a shroud of the beautiful snow!

"Helpless and foul as the trampled snow,
Sinner, Despair Not! Christ stoopeth low
To rescue the soul that is lost in sin
And raise it to life and enjoyment again.
    Groaning, Bleeding, Dying - for then
The Crucified hung on the cursed tree!
His accents of mercy fall soft on thine ear.
'Is there mercy for me? Will He hear my weak prayer?'
O God, in the stream that for sinners did flow,
Wash Me, And I Shall Be Whiter Than Snow."

"God thundereth marvellously with His voice; Great things doeth he, which we cannot comprehend.
For He saith to the snow, Be thou on the earth!  By the breath of God frost is given..." Job 37:5,6,10

Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, "Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? Or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail, which I have reserved...?" Job 38:1,22,29

Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. -Psalm 51:7

For I know that the Lord is great...He causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth; He maketh lightnings for the rain; He bringeth the wind out of His treasuries. -Psalm 135:5,7

Praise the Lord from the earth! Fire, and hail; snow, and vapor; stormy wind fulfilling His word... -Psalm 148:7,8

"Come now, and let us reason together," saith the Lord; "Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow." -Isaiah 1:18

"For as the rain cometh down, and the SNOW from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." -Isaiah 55:10-12

Enjoy the snow!

Praise God in it!


No comments:

Post a Comment