Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sunday Favorites #2- Attitude Adjustment

Don Ian Smith writes: "I well remember the afternoon when my son and I had been riding the range checking on the cattle. We were nearing home in the lovely time of day when the setting sun casts long shadows and puts a halo on the hills. About a mile from the ranch we had stopped our horses for a rest and we were just sitting, looking at the scene before us. Our line fence across the valley stood out sharply like a giant pencil line on a great piece of green paper, greener than the grass outside where the cattle had been grazing all summer. My son said: "Look, Dad! The grass sure is a lot greener on our side of the fence."
"It is tragic that many people have subscribed to the old lie that says it is greener on the other side. Most of us have known times when we have been tired and discouraged...but when I start to give serious thought to jumping my fence, I am brought up short by the simple fact that on MY side, though there are many problems, I also know something about the answers. If I jump the fence to go to what looks like greener pastures I will be trading a set of problems I know something about for a whole set of problems I know almost nothing about. I realize THIS is my side of the fence, and for me the grass is greener HERE. Whenever we seek to solve our problems by jumping the fence, we deceive ourselves, for the problems have a way of jumping with us. What looked like better pastures will turn out to be an illusion caused by the fact that we could not see clearly from our side that this other side has just as many burrs and weeds...greener pastures can turn out to be crabgrass."

"Pessimism is a denial of faith. It is a way of saying we don't really believe the promises of God or appreciate His gifts. The mark of a christian should be optimism. 'If God is for us, who can be against us?' This optimism knows that in the world there is tribulation, but also knows the One who has overcome the world. Face your set of problems and walk to a place where you can get a better point of view, and see that INDEED the grass is greener on your side of the fence." from his book By The River Of No Return




"We can all remember instances in our lives when God caused even the hardest trials to work together for our good. I remember when a trial was brought upon me by another person. I was filled with bitter rebellion and could not see any reason to be thankful in it. But that very trial provided the richest blessing and one of the greatest triumphs of my life. In the end, I was filled with thanksgiving for the things that had caused me such bitter rebellion before. If only I had had faith enough to give thanks at first, how much sorrow I would have been spared." -Hannah Whitall Smith


This is a "re-run" of one of my favorite posts...I'm joining Chari's "Sunday Favorites" blog party again!









3 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I love your pictures..so beautiful...I see you are a relatively new blogger! I am a follower now...I live in Oklahoma City too! Nice to met you!

    Miss Bloomers/Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to this post, and what GORGEOUS photos to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa...

    What an encouraging post, my friend! Thank you so much for sharing these wise words with us today for Sunday Favorites! Ohhh...and the photos are simply divine! I love the photo of the old fence and wide open range...reminds me of land I've seen in Wyoming! Sooo pretty and sooo peaceful...don't you think?

    Ohhh...your words are sooo true, my friend! I believe that when the grass begins to look greener on the other side...we've lost sight of the many blessings that the Lord has given us...right where we are! I know that I have faltered at times, however...I truly do try to live a life of faith and optimism and never take for granted what I have been blessed with! Even those tribulations that you spoke about...I too, can see where it was the very tribulation that brought me to the place I am now...and I can sincerely thank the Lord for them!!! You mentioned some of my favorite scriptures! I am also reminded of the words that the Apostle Paul spoke...about being content in whatever state I find myself in! My paraphrase of course! Hehe!

    Thank you again, for joining in with Sunday Favorites...I really enjoyed this encouraging message today!!!

    Have a super Sunday, my friend!!!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete