Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Charles Dickens, Man of Conviction

Charles Dickens was the most popular novelist of the Victorian era, and one of the most popular of all time. He was responsible for some of English literature's most memorable characters. His novels are filled with phrases from the Bible and the Book of Common Prayer. He believed Christianity should include charity and goodwill toward all humanity. He devoted his voice and pen to the plight of orphaned children and worked to improve their education. His wish was that no child would face the hardship he knew as a young boy growing up in poverty and working in the factories of London. I found this prayer that is attributed to him -we can picture him at 12 years old, being forced to work in a factory to help with family finances, asking God for help. I try to pray often for  those who are in desperation, that God will hear them when they call out to Him in despair...


A Child's Prayer

Hear my prayer, O heavenly Father,
Ere I lay me down to sleep;
Bid Thy angels, pure and holy
Round my bed their vigils keep.

My sins are heavy but Thy mercy
Far outweighs them every one;
Down before Thy cross I cast them,
Trusting in Thy help alone.

Keep me through this night of peril
Underneath its boundless shade;
Take me to Thy rest, I pray Thee,
When my pilgrimage is made.

None shall measure out Thy patience
By the span of human thought;
None shall bound Thy tender mercies
Which Thy holy Son has bought.

Pardon all my past transgressions,
Give me strength for days to come;
Guide and guard me with Thy blessing
Till Thy angels bid me home.

Charles Dickens, 1812-1870

I am really impressed and inspired by the phrase "None shall bound Thy tender mercies which Thy holy Son has bought." No way can the mercy of Christ be limited! I LOVE THIS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment