Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sunday Favorites- Of Pearls

Helping Chari celebrate! --One Year Of Sunday Favorites! This was the second post  I ever did...  To join the party at Happy To Design, click on the Sunday Favorites button in my left column. Congratulations, Chari! I've had fun joining you several Sundays!
(now for my original post, dated October 17, 2009)


 I found this great article about pearls... coming from the Christian's perspective. It's a great read. Very Inspiring. Please go read it and enjoy!  http://obygrace.org/blog/the-seeker/
As for me,I have come to recognize that I am a follower, not an original...in one manner of speaking. My Profound Thoughts usually originate in someone else's creative genius and I just collect treasures to pass them on.

(The following information I gathered from multiple websites) "3000 years ago, in the Arabian Gulf, divers greased their skin to keep the cold out before taking a deep breath of air and diving more than 100 feet to reach their treasure at the bottom of the sea. They were diving for PEARLS, at a time when pearls were worth more than gold. Sometimes they would dive 100 times before finding that one pearl. With only an average of one oyster in every 1000 shells containing a precious prize, many divers were required to make hundreds of dives for a single pearl. A fine cultured pearl worth hundreds of thousands, would cost a few million dollars with the same quality if it was natural pearls.
The pearl diver wears ear stoppers of beeswax, a bone clip to close his nostrils, and very little else. Grasping a weighted line to get him to the bottom quickly, he leaps into the water with a net bag for the oysters attached to another line, and sinks to the floor of the sea. The average dive of around 50 feet permits the diver to remain below a minute and a half (although some divers can stay for three minutes) and collect up to a dozen oysters before a sharp jerk on the line signals his handler above to pull him to the surface. A good diver can make 60 such descents a day, braving sharks and barracuda and the poisonous jelly fish, not to mention the possibility of cumulative damage to his body from the repeated immersions at high pressure: deafness, heart trouble, bronchitis and rheumatism."

(end of my original post)

Remember to join the Sunday Favorites Blog Party!

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely and touchimg post! The pearl is so pignantly beautiful and full of meaning! Thanks for sharing!

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa...

    It's sooo very nice to see you again today for Sunday Favorites, my friend! What a great post to share with us...a beautiful pearl just always amazes me! These priceless treasures are so unique...truly one of the Lord's sweet blessings!!! Ohhh...and the pearl in that phots...gorgeous! Am I seeing it correctly? It looks like it is a soft pink color...so very beautiful!!!

    Well my friend, I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your posts that you've been sharing with us for Sunday Favorites! I'm just so happy to have met you! I really enjoyed all of your sweet notes and warm well wishes that you left for me on the SF "One Year" birthday post! Thank you, Lisa!

    Have a super Sunday, my friend...and best wishes on the gift card giveaway!!!

    Chari @Happy To Design

    PS...thank you for posting my giveaway button in your sidebar! That's so kind of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, I learned so much from this post!! What a great one to repost!!

    I don't have any real pearls but I do have the "Pearl of great price"!!

    bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete