Saturday, May 29, 2010

Memorial Day 2010



I Pledge Allegiance To The Flag
Of The United States Of America
And To The Republic For Which It Stands
One Nation Under God
Indivisible
With Liberty And Justice For All


I salute all who have lost their right arm in combat.
I salute all who have lost a leg in combat and cannot stand
at the beginning of a public event.
I salute all the families who sacrifice as much as
their loved ones in the military must sacrifice.
I salute all who have given their lives so that our flag
can fly above a free nation.
I am proud to be an American!
(arranged from a writing by Chaplain Patrick McGlaughlin)


Arlington National Cemetery

Memorial Day 2010
May 31

My family's record of service:
My maternal grandfather, Benjamin Harrison Blaine Capps, served in the US ARMY during WW1
His two sons, Cecil Capps and Eddie Capps, served in WWII, Uncle Cecil in the US ARMY and Uncle Eddie as a Seabee.
My paternal grandfather, Cecil Clyde Carver, was in the Reserves during WWII.
His son, my uncle Lynn Carver, was drafted into the US ARMY during WWII and went to India.
My father was rejected in the draft because of being born with a heart murmur.
All my family members survived the wars, dying of other causes...
My son Benjamin is a veteran of the Gulf Wars Era, having been in the US Marine Corps.
(hopefully I have not left anyone out...I need to do a more thorough history of my family!)










No comments:

Post a Comment