Monday, June 28, 2010

An Ancient Prayer

The morning breaks,
I place my hand in Thine,
My God, 'tis Thine to lead; to follow, mine.
No word deceitful shall I speak the while,
Nor shall I stain my hand with action vile.

Thine be the day with worthy labor filled;
Strong would I stand to do the duty willed;
Nor swayed by restless passions let me be
That I may give the offering pure to Thee.

Else were I shamed when hoary age I see,
Shamed were this heart that bears Thy gifts to me.
Mine is the impulse- O my Christ, I pray
Be Thou Thyself to me the Blessed Way.

-Gregory of Nazianzus
circa 329-390
(also known as the Trinitarian Theologian)


Jesus spake unto them, saying,
"I am the light of the world.
 He that followeth me shall not walk in darkness,
but shall have the light of life." 

John 8:12, The Holy Bible







No comments:

Post a Comment