Saturday, July 17, 2010

God Forgive Me When I Whine

Today upon a bus, I saw a lovely maid with golden hair.
I envied her- she seemed so gay-
and wished I were as fair.
When suddenly she arose to leave,
I saw the cruel braces as she hobbled down the aisle;
a victim of polio was she.
But as she passed - a smile!
O God, forgive me when I whine,
I have two straight feet.
The world is mine!

And then I stopped to buy some sweets.
The lad who sold them had such charm.
I talked with him.
He said to me, "It's nice to talk with folks like you.
You see", he said, "I'm blind."
O God, forgive me when I whine,
I have two eyes-
The world is mine!

Then walking down the street,
I saw a child with eyes of blue.
He stood and watched the others play.
It seemed he knew not what to do.
I stopped a moment, then I said,
"Why don't you join the others, dear?"
He looked ahead without a word,
and then I knew he could not hear.
O God, forgive me when I whine,
I have two ears-
The world is mine!

With feet to take me where I'd go,
with eyes to see the sunset's glow,
with ears to hear what I would know -
O God, forgive me when I whine.
I'm blessed indeed!
The world is mine!

-author unknown



No comments:

Post a Comment