Saturday, September 18, 2010

One Answer to "Opportunity"

Several posts back I shared a poem about Opportunity knocking only once...I found this poem that challenges that thought and had to share it also. I understand where both authors are coming from...

Answer to "Opportunity"

They do me wrong who say
I come no more
When once I knock and fail to find you in;
For every day I stand outside your door,
And bid you wake
and rise to fight and win!

Though deep in mire,
wring not your hands and weep.
I lend my arm to all who say "I can".
No shame-faced outcast
ever sank so deep but might arise
and be again
a Man.

Dost thou behold thy lost youth all aghast?
Dost reel from righteous retribution's blow?
Then turn from blotted archives of the past
and find the future's pages
white as snow.

Art thou a mourner?
Rouse thee from thy spell;
Art thou a sinner?
Sins may be forgiven.
Each morning gives thee wings to fly from hell,
Each night a star to guide thy feet to heaven.

-Walter Malone



No comments:

Post a Comment