Friday, October 15, 2010

Autumnal Meanderings

This past Sunday was a beautiful fall day...I did not get to write a post then, but I made a note on paper,  and some mentally, and now I have a chance to "git 'er done" .....

Autumnal Meanderings...

Sunday AM- driving to church...passed by the soybean fields waiting to be combined, and saw a pheasant running into the plants...a few rotations of the wheels and another pheasant flew across the road right in front of us- we could plainly see the ring around his neck, so beautiful! A pheasant in flight looks sort of strange, not at all the usual bird-shape I'm used to seeing...the clouds are hanging heavy like it may rain...the air is crisp and refreshing...

Sunday Afternoon- our pastor had invited us to stay for lunch at his home, just like we used to do so many times, before we moved away from that area for 10 years...seems like old times to be back sharing their table, just the two little children are not the same ones! Alison and Benjamin were almost the ages of Julia and David now, when we were back in the Enid area...Brother Leslie had made a pot of beans in the slow-cooker, his specialty! He also prepared cornbread, using his favorite Hodgson Mill cornmeal. Sister Sylvia told us that he cooked most of the afternoon Saturday, making banana bread, etc...She had prepared a Waldorf type salad of sliced apples, grapes, celery, and pecans, probably ones from their pecan tree...She told me she was so excited the night before, knowing we were planning to be with them, that she did not sleep very well! I told her I wished she hadn't been worrying about the mealplanning, and she replied that she had not been worrying, she was anticipating our company! They had just got back from holding a week-long revival in South Carolina, and she had not yet been grocery shopping to replenish her cupboards...She said the Lord brought to her mind how her mother used to fix meals for company with practically nothing on the shelves, and that the Lord kept bringing things to her mind that she could use for our Sunday lunch without going to the store. She had one carton of lemon yogurt and used that for the sauce of the Waldorf salad, explaining that the Lord suggested that to her! It was one of the best ones I have had, and Galen really enjoyed it also. The Lord knows what's good-tasting!!! We also enjoyed fresh cooked spinach, cooked with only butter, no salt, and garnished with boiled egg slices...very pretty and very tasty. I had never had it like that before...accompaniments for the beans included sliced onions, fresh bell pepper slices and tiny cherry tomatoes from their garden...the tiny tomatoes were so "cute"! For our dessert, Brother Leslie brought out his banana bread that he had made the day before and served it with ice cream...

Sunday Evening- the drive home was pleasant...heavy clouds still lowering, beautifully purple and blue... Galen napped while I drove...after we reached home he had a trailer he had to unload before the rain came, so he got the children to help him...I took a walk down our country road, enjoying the promise of rain that was sure to come, but hopefully not before I got back to the house...in the soybean field across the road from our place, the combine was running...the neighbor's dog Jack ran out to see me and let me touch his nose...I walked on a little ways and thought I was alone, but he had followed me and was right behind me-gave me a little surprise, but he's not one to bite (they say...)  ...coming back to our house I saw a bright bluebird fly up into our apple tree...the clouds are producing lightning and getting darker and the light is that special quality that comes right before a storm...standing in my kitchen fixing supper I could hear the combine across the road working steadily into the dark, trying to finish the field before the rain began...Galen worked until after dark unloading the trailer...just as soon as he was finished, it was as if the storm had been waiting for him to get done, and the wind came up instantly...Julia and I ran into the house before the rain reached us...we had the windows facing the front porch open and the sound of the thunder and rain was delicious...(the field WAS completely finished before the rain started!)

Why is it that we love to ask "Why?"?  When things go bad in our world, we always want to ask, Why me, Lord?... and when things go RIGHT in our world, we want to ask, Why me, Lord?...I almost feel guilty with the enjoyment of my new home...but I know it is God's gift to me and the answer to my 'why' question is, because God LOVES me. I guess that is the same answer to the other 'why', when things are going 'wrong' (as we put it)...God is working out His purpose and all things are working together for good to those that love Him etc... I really believe this...I am learning to have Faith in the Purposes of God, Faith in the Presence of God, Faith in the Promises of God, and Faith in the Power of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment