Monday, October 4, 2010

Why Some Need Solitude

I was a stricken deer,
that left the herd long since;
with many an arrow deep infixt
my panting side was charged,
when I withdrew to seek a tranquil death
in distant shades.
There was I found
by One who had Himself been hurt by the archers.
In His side he bore,
and in His hands and feet,
the cruel scars.
With gentle force soliciting the darts,
He drew them forth,
and healed,
and bade me live.
Since then,
with few associates,
in remote and silent woods,
I wander,
far from those my former partners
of the peopled scene;
With few associates,
and not wishing more.

-William Cowper
1731-1800
written while suffering mental illness



Try to show patience and pity to those who are wounded with life- you may not understand their need to be alone, but respect their need, and give them space when they desire it. Be a friend they can call when they feel a need for companionship, but don't force their confidence. Say, "I'm here for whenever you need me." Just because you cannot understand their need for solitude, does not mean their need is not legitimate. Present them in prayer to the Savior
and Give The Space They Require!!





No comments:

Post a Comment