Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Simmer Down

This devotional is from my new little treasure book that's old, Devotions for Women at Home, by Martha Meister Kiely.


"Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Any good cook turns the heat down when the pot begins to boil. She knows that nothing good is accomplished by uncontrolled boiling. Either the mixture being cooked sticks to the pan and burns, or it bubbles over the side and is lost.



Some of us are better cooks than we are Christians! We know enough to keep our meals from burning and boiling over, but we have not learned how to control the boiling within our souls. We often allow resentments or jealousies to burn high within us until they boil over and make a mess of everything. How many home-comings have been ruined by a "boiling housewife" who "blows off" at the wrong time!

A good cook learns to turn down the heat and keep her cooking under control. In this manner she reserves all the goodness and the very best flavor. This demands watchfulness and patience, but the results are worth the effort.



Today, allow the warmth of love to replace burning passions.

Prayer: Oh God, forgive me that I often make a fuss about nothing. Help me to be warm, gentle, and kind even to those who are unkind to me. When I am tempted to be impatient, remind me of Thy fatherly patience with me. In Jesus' name, Amen.

I have edited this only slightly...and the pictures are my selections from Google Images!




This reminds me of the Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme (!):
Needles and pins
Needles and pins
When a man marries
His trouble begins.

(Oh Dear! I'd be afraid to go home!)






Now here's what we want to see in our kitchens!
This is a vintage SOS magazine advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment