Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Recipe for Soup Season

Happy New Year again to us all!

In keeping with the tradition of starting fresh in the new year, I have been going through my collection of recipe clippings, deciding which to discard and which to keep a little longer. Last summer my mother gave me a medium-sized box of recipes that she had saved, some herself and some from HER mother! I kept quite a few of them then, and now again I have let go quite a little pile. It was interesting going through my grandmother's clippings...I enjoy reading old recipe books, too! In going through my folder and notebook I found a recipe for Pumpkin Chili. Imagine that! I thought, and told my husband about it with a laugh. I tossed that page...then later I thought I'd try it out! It had piqued my interest I guess. So in trying to find it again, I went through the trash, through my clippings twice at least, through my pile of stuff where I had been sitting...NO RECIPE TO BE FOUND! I can't imagine where it disappeared to. But INTERNET to the rescue! I did a search for Pumpkin Chili, and found LOTS of recipes! So it must not be too bad, I reasoned to myself. Today it is cold and spitting snow outside, and I had some fresh pumpkin puree frozen from October, so it seemed like a perfect time to try this new taste out! I'll share the one I chose to follow- I found it at (never home) maker http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2010/10/new-and-improved-pumpkin-chili-recipe.html

As is my way, I used the recipe as a guide, not following it precisely. One reason for this is I did not have everything that it called for! No meat was in the original recipe, but I used hamburger and sausage. The hamburger is from my husband's parents' farm-raised beef, and the sausage is from WILD BOAR that the family shot this winter in western Oklahoma! Wild hogs are becoming quite a nuisance around the area where my husband's family's farm is located. I lost count of how many they have shot this year. I did not have any Kidney Beans on hand, so I could not put that in...I did not WANT to add the corn called for...and I had no Paprika in my spice cabinet. I used a dash of red cayenne pepper instead, and some frozen chopped Pimientos that my sister-in-law gave me last year, about 1/4 cup...Instead of broth, I used our leftover roast gravy...for the can of tomatoes called for I used one can of Ro-Tel tomatoes with Chili Peppers...and I added no black pepper, because of the other peppery things already in use. No Sage leaves in my cabinet either...

Smoked Pumpkin Chili (new and improved)
~1 medium onion, chopped
~3 cloves of garlic, chopped
~1 Tablespoon olive oil
~2 cans (or one large can) dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed
~1 large can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
~ 1 can pumpkin puree
~1 cup broth
~1 Tablespoon smoked paprika (or regular)
~1 teaspoon black pepper
~1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
~10 to 15 sage leaves (optional)

Surely you can figure out how to mix this all together on your own! 

I took a picture of my pot steaming on the stove -



and here is a picture of the little dish I use to keep my garlic in -


and the tea towel is one I bought before I got married, one of a whole set marked with the days of the week, with the little sunbonnet lady. For a long time I would not use them, but finally decided "Hey! I bought them to use in my home, and I need to use my pretty things!" I love pretty tea towels and table linens, but I don't like to think of ruining them through use! But they bring no joy hiding in the drawer...

Yes, we enjoyed this new dish! I only thought you could make pies or bread with pumpkin- I'm glad to have discovered this delicious way to use it for a main dish that is not sweet.

This gives me POINTS on my New Year's Resolve to try new recipes!!!!!!

I would be very happy to hear from you if you try out this recipe...let me know how you like it! Thanks to Ashley and Stephen at (never home) maker for posting this recipe on the web!


No comments:

Post a Comment