Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Starting the New Year, and Each New Day, RIGHT

Have you made resolutions for this New year of 2011?

Would you dare to share them with me? LOL Please leave a comment, if you would...

Here is a great little inspirational reading from the book Devotions for Women at Home by Martha Meister Kiely. With the Holidays over now, we want to make sure all our decorations are put away, and we want to enjoy a little simplicity for a while, right? I enjoy all the Christmas "clutter" LOL but I don't want it out all year long. The celebration of the birth of Christ deserves its special time in the calendar, I believe, and I love concentrating on it in December, although I rejoice in the reality of His Advent all year long. The wonderful words of the Christmas Carols were so alive to me this year, and somehow I think if I heard them every day I would get a little numb to the wonder of it all. So as we settle down to the everyday life again, I think the musings from this special writing will help get us on the right track for this new year of 2011. Enjoy and be blessed!



Tightrope Act on a Clothesline

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Each morning as the children and I dash out the back door to the car in our usual rush to school, my attention gets caught on the clothesline stretched from house to garage. It always snaps into my consciousness some words of Anne Morrow Lindbergh which I memorized from her gem of a book Gift from the Sea:
     What a circus act we women perform every day of our lives. It puts the trapeze artist to shame. Look at us. We run a tight rope daily, balancing a pile of books on the head, baby-carriage, parasol, kitchen chair, still under control. Steady now!
     This is not the life of simplicity but the life of multiplicity that the wise men warn us of. It leads not to unification but to fragmentation. It does not bring grace; it destroys the soul.
That clothesline then causes me to slow down my gait; and when I return from depositing the children, its persistent signal reins me to a halt. I sit down with a warmed-over cup of coffee, my Bible, and one of my favorite devotional books. With their help I pull myself together so that God can pull me to Himself. Out of these moments of quietness and fellowship with God come my directions and strength for the day.
Today remember you can't do everything, but you can do some things. Ask God to point out the right things.

Psalm 25:4-5  "Show me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

Pray:  My Lord, yoke me to thyself that I may experience thy gentleness and strength as I labor with thee.  AMEN



The fun picture of the decorated clothespins is from Elyse's blog, Cottage. You can visit her and see more of these cute clothespins, and even find the directions for making some yourself, here at this link:
http://tinkeredtreasures.blogspot.com/2010/12/smitten.html  Below is a button from her blog...


Just Curious...I wonder if any of my readers use a clothesline! So many people do not, anymore...I grew up using one before my mother got a dryer. After I married we had an outdoor line for many years and I enjoyed using it, but only in the summertime! Now I totally use an electric dryer, high capacity of course! I can dry a comforter in it nicely. Another by-the-way...I raised my first two children in cloth diapers, and I liked drying those outside on the line...but these last two have been in disposables all the way!

One of my old friend's daughters is a talented photographer...she gave me permission to post this photo from her portfolio. The links to her website and etsy shop are below. Thanks, Mandy!


http://www.mandylynne.com/
http://www.etsy.com/listing/59353050/apron-strings-5x5



No comments:

Post a Comment