Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Day In June

And what is so rare as a day in June?
Then, if ever, come perfect days...
Whether we look, or whether we listen,
We hear life murmur, or see it glisten...

Now is the high-tide of the year,
And whatever of life hath ebbed away
Comes flooding back with a ripply cheer,
Into every bare inlet and creek and bay;
Now the heart is so full that a drop overfills it,
We are happy now because God wills it...

No matter how barren the past may have been,
'Tis enough 
for us now that the leaves are green;
 Joy comes, grief goes, we know not how;
Everything is happy now,
Everything is upward striving;
'Tis as easy now for the heart to be true
As for grass to be green or skies to be blue,
'Tis for the natural way of living...


selected lines from the long poem by James Russell Lowell


It's started out today as a cool one for June! I decided to take my walk this morning instead of waiting for the coolness of evening...we do not have a landline phone here, just our cell phones. I left mine at the house...when I got back the children were all in an uproar! "The pig got out and got in the garden! She rooted up some plants! We called Dad and he's on the way home! We had to chase her down and Julia has her by the back patio! We lost our boots while we were chasing her!" I went around back and the pig was lying in the sand where we are removing the concrete patio, with Julia scratching her with a stick. Piggy was breathing like she was all tuckered out! Hubby got home and brought up two cattle panels, wired them together with a clothes hanger out of the utility room closet, and we all walked her back to the pen by the barn, enclosed in the panels.(It's a good thing she chose to break out on a cool day, otherwise she might have got too hot and died with all the chasing to catch her- you know pigs can't sweat)





 There was a hole she'd worked through in the corral by the water tank..David brought the hose around and cooled her down with sprays of water. Of course she immediately had a muddy place to wallow in. Julia turned off the hose in the barn and came back to her pen and screeched, "Oh! There's a muddy pig!" I guess it's been so dry that Julia hasn't really seen the pig wet with mud- that was funny.



Really, there was not much damage done to our garden- here My Husband is patting back into place a little corn that Piggy had rooted up...

Now I'm going to confess my ignorance! Here where we live there is a little plant that grows all along the sides of our road, and along the fence of our horse pasture. It looks like a petunia or morning glory flower.
I asked my husband the other day, "What is that plant that looks like a petunia that grows all along the roads here?" He replied, "Oh, that's bindweed. It's a terrible nuisance."  Of course, I have lived in a country setting most of my married life, and have heard the farmers talk of bindweed, but no one had ever pointed out to me what it looked like! Here I was thinking it was a pretty thing to find growing up our fence...


...and all along it's a bad problem! I did a little research this morning online, and one site said that the roots of this little strangler can go 27 feet deep! It's very hard to eradicate, I also found out-it may take several years even using herbicides. Here's a link if you are interested http://scarab.msu.montana.edu/CropWeedSearch/Docs/FieldBindweedManagementLawns.htm

I've had my watercolor painting on hold for several days- I've been doing my "spring" cleaning now that it's really SUMMER! This little picture of tulips below is actually the very first painting I did after I got back from my workshop in April. The tulips are from Dan and Angela's front flowerbed- she told me red tulips are his favorite flower. I did this really for him- I wanted to somehow put a Bible verse on it- "Thou wilt show me the path of life; in Thy presence is Fulness of Joy; at Thy right hand there are pleasures forevermore." (from Psalms) I was so grateful for them letting me stay with them while he is suffering from this disease that may take his life. I had emailed them a copy after it was finished, but I just now figured out how to print it out as a card, so I sent it to them through the mail last week, along with my handwritten greetings of love and assurances that they are still in our prayers regularly. Angela had picked these last two tulips and placed them in her kitchen window above the sink- when the sunlight shone through them they were lovelier yet. I am not perfectly happy with my results but it is a happy memory for me, and may God bless my dear friends in Kentucky today and everyday! (If you click on the picture, it will open in a larger format)





No comments:

Post a Comment