Thursday, June 30, 2011

Summer Project and Herb Tea

Do you save little slivers of bar soap? (I confess in a whisper that I do!)  I have tried making my own soap from scratch before- the result was not something I was inordinately proud of.  I ran across a little "recipe" for turning the little scraps of bar soap into liquid soap and thought this would be a neat project to try- - so Yesterday I DID IT! Here is a link to the "recipe" that I followed ...

It was very easy to do...instead of using a grater I just scraped the scraps with a sharp kitchen knife. The instructions said to not use the amount of a jumbo bar of soap- but it seemed so runny to use the amount called for that I ended up using probably the amount of a Large bar. BUT I FOUND OUT why the instructions said not too-- after standing awhile the concoction gets thicker. All the soap I added made a gloopy brew that is just a little too thick! I thought I needed to add a little more purified water to thin it down. But really I am pleased with the results! I never dreamed those few pieces of hard soap would make this HUGE amount of liquid soap!!! This is an old glass gallon jar I just recently got from my mother's house.


Really I have saved a TON of money doing this- I have used a French liquid soap that I love the smell of, but it is about $16.00 per dispenser. Of course I haven't been able to buy it all the time- I also have used the cheap grocery store liquid soap stuff.  With doing this little project, you can add essential oil to get a great smelling lather. I think my favorite scent for soap is Lemon Verbena. I am growing Lemon Balm in my garden- I use it to make tea with. I love to crush the leaves in my hands for the smell!  I think I read in one of my herb books that you can rub these leaves on your skin to repel mosquitoes! I'm going to try that- I love the smell!!!!!!! I also have a perfume made with the lemon verbena scent.


Back to the herbs- I have also used Lemon Basil in my tea brews, along with some Stevia leaves. I am growing stevia again this year but I don't really have it in enough sun. I think it's fun to be able to use these plants- on their own as tea, or with a regular black-type tea. The following picture is from a nice link that gives  some other ideas for herbs to add to your tea.

When I use the fresh leaves from my herbs, I stuff them into a Bodum Coffee Press, press the plunger down, and fill with just-boiling water. Fun and Easy! (I got my press at Target)

I do not have any dried lemon balm leaves yet, but if I did, I would have crushed them and added them to my liquid soap "brew" for a little scrubby aromatic plus!

Happy Summer!
(Photo from herbcompanion.com)



2 comments:

  1. Herbal tea are best in a Summer Session. herbal teas designed to promote health and well being. Herbal tea for constipation prevention and relief is one of the easiest natural remedies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea is the best drink in the world for me. I like it very much. I love to drink it. There are many benefits of this tea. I usually drink it 2-3 times in day.

    ReplyDelete