Friday, July 29, 2011

Even More About Zucchini

Here's another great recipe for zucchini that I found- this time by following up some interesting recipes in our Oklahoma Living news/mag from the electric co-op. I tore out the recipe page of this month's issue because it was about grilling. Laura Araujo writes this and I saw the link to her webpage, Manna And Quail. I thought- hey that's from the Bible -and decided to look it up online. http://mannaandquail.wordpress.com/  She has a nice-looking site and some neat-sounding recipes! I'm glad I found out about it.

So this recipe is called Low-Carb Lasagna! Instead of the pasta noodles, use zucchini cut the long way!


I tried this a couple of days ago and was extremely pleased with the results! So I recommend it to YOU, dear reader! LOL
http://mannaandquail.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/low-carb-lasagna/


Low-carb Lasagna
  • 3 large zucchini
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 pound mushrooms (optional)
  • 1 pound turkey sausage
  • 15 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • Marinara sauce
  • 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the zucchini lengthwise into 1/8 inch thick slices. Place the slices on baking sheets, drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Roast the zucchini until it’s tender, 15-20 minutes. Slice the mushrooms and saute them in a large skillet over high heat in a little bit of olive oil. (Pre-cooking the mushrooms will prevent them from giving off water inside the lasagna.) Cook the mushrooms until they’re browned. Remove them from the pan and use the skillet to brown the turkey sausage. In a small bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, the egg, the herbs, the black pepper and the Parmesan cheese together.
To assemble the lasagna, coat the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan with a thin layer of the marinara sauce. Cover the marina with a third of the zucchini “noodles.” Spread half of the ricotta over the zucchini, cover with half of the turkey sausage, half of the mushrooms and cover with marinara sauce. Repeat this process with a second layer. Finish with a layer of zucchini covered with marinara and topped with mozzarella. Bake the lasagna until it’s heated through and the cheese is browned, about 30 minutes. Allow the lasagna to stand for 15 minutes before serving to give it time to set up.

In browsing Laura's site, I found another VERY INTERESTING item- - -she titled it 30 Ice Creams for my 30th birthday. Does that grab your attention like it did mine? !    Here's what she says:

"The count down has begun! In less than a month, I will be turning the big 3-0!
I had been trying to think of something fun to do to celebrate the milestone. Since ice cream is my favorite food, I decided that over the next month, I will make 30 flavors of homemade ice cream. On my birthday, we’re going to have homemade pizza and do an ice cream tasting to rate our favorites."
How fun is that!!!! I'd like to do that, too!

I'm glad I took the time to look up Laura's page-I will visit again!


No comments:

Post a Comment