Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Chance Encounters On A Country Road

Or Close Encounters Of A Country Kind! While taking my walks down our country road, I get to experience many interesting sights. Some nice, some not so nice...my latest close encounter was with a cicada! I went for my walk in the late morning, and on our neighbor's fence post one was "singing" with all his might...
...I went a few feet on down the road, and one came zinging up and hit me right in the eye! Good thing I was wearing my glasses or that would have hurt! BTW- growing up we always called these 'locusts'- I never heard the word 'cicada' until I had been married several years. (and it is pronounced 'si-cay-da')

My scariest encounter was with a skunk! This time I was walking in late evening, not twilight but practically. He was in the ditch about 30 feet off the road- when I saw him I was startled of course and didn't know whether to turn around or keep going! I decided to keep going, and I don't think he ever saw me until I had already passed him. I turned my head when I was past, and he was LOOKING at me...but nothing ever happened. Whew! or that would have been PHEW!!!

In the spring I was beside a wheat field that was still green, and I startled a pheasant out of the shade of the wheat...

Once, while I was on the homebound part of my walk, up the road in front of our house I saw a deer standing in the middle of the road. I was still a long way off, but she suddenly took off running right beside the fence of our property, right past our horse in his pasture, (on the inside of the fence) who never turned his head to look after her! I thought that was funny...

I also have to share the road with a tractor every now and then! Some of these are pretty small machines, but once a HUGE one came by that took up both lanes of the road- I had to step off into the grass. 

One of our neighbors has an old Great Dane that is pretty ugly- spotted grey, white, and black, and with red, rheumy eyes. But he is a nice, calm dog- he will come up to me without a sound and let me say hello. He goes out of his yard to do his "dirty work" and does it right on the pavement...  Another neighbor has a fenced in yard with a German Shepherd that barkbarkbarks at me and sounds very ferocious, but everyone says he is really a friendly dog- just likes to bark. My neighbors call me "the lady that walks". I've been at it all summer and since it has been such a hot one, sometimes I have ended up going after dark, with a little handheld halogen light that I turn on if a car comes down the road. I really don't like to be out when it is totally dark but I don't like to miss my walking either- it's so easy for me to get out of the habit if I don't do it EVERY day. Sometimes the children will accompany me on their bicycles or scooters. I have worked up just the past two weeks to 4 miles a day! That is, 2 miles in the morning and 2 in the evening, and that has not been EVERY day, but I have done it several times. That's the goal anyway...

(pictures in this post are from flickr.com and google images)







No comments:

Post a Comment