Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wonderfully Abnormal

"I have come to a firm conviction that I don't WANT my kids to be normal!

A Christian should never be 'normal'. Normal means- conforming, adhering to, or constituting a usual or typical pattern. This sounds like the opposite of the call on Christians to not be conformed to the patterns of this world, from Romans 12:2. Jesus calls all of us to a narrow path that few find (Matthew 7:13-14). If we are walking that narrow path, we have NO CHANCE of fitting in with the crowd on the broad path to destruction.

If I can raise unselfish, kind, generous children who love (others), I have no doubt (they) will make an impact for Christ even while they are young. These characteristics are so rare that they will shine like stars in "the midst of a crooked and perverse nation". (Philippians 2:15-16)

How do I raise my kids to be wonderfully abnormal? First, I pray for them. In our natural state, all human beings are destined to selfishness. So I pray that God will enable my kids to repent and to believe in Jesus and that He will give them hearts that long to know God. Second, they are taught God's standards of behavior from His Word, and we try to uphold those standards in our household. Another thing, *and this will be an eye-brow raiser* is to limit the amount of time our children spend with other children. (This allows) my family to work at breaking out of society's mold and figure out who God wants us to be. The children are not influenced by youth culture because they are not exposed. Being relieved of the constant battle with our godless culture allows us to develop a culture centered on Christ. One more thing- we carefully screen and limit the media in our home. At the same time we are filtering the bad, we try to give positive examples of others who walk the road less traveled."

The above comments are from "I Don't Want My Kids to be Normal!" by Cindy Puhek. I condensed and edited her article that appeared in a 2007 magazine. For your interest and information, she has a BS and MA in chemistry and has taught college and high school science classes.


Thank you, Cindy Puhek

I totally agree with you, 
even though that DOES mark me as ABNORMAL!

We should say, 'welcome to the NEW normal' I guess!



No comments:

Post a Comment